The Golden Gate National Recreation Area (GGNRA) will host five Open Houses to solicit your input on the General Management Plan (GMP).
1. Wednesday, April 19, 3:30pm to 7:30pm at GGNRA Headquarters, Fort Mason Building 201, San Francisco
2. Thursday, April 20, 3:00pm to 7:00pm, Pacifica Community Center, 540 Crespi Drive, Pacifica
(across from Linda Mar State Beach)
3. Saturday, April 22, 11:00am to 3:00pm, GGNRA Headquarters, Fort Mason Building 201, San Francisco
4. Wednesday, April 26, 3:30pm to 7:30pm, Bay Model, 2100 Bridgeway, Sausalito
5. Thursday, April 27, 3:30pm to 7:30pm, Peninsula Community Foundation, 1700 South El Camino Real, Suite 300, San MateoThe GMP provides the “big picture” long-range vision for the park. It sets forth the basic management philosophy, management concepts and operational guidelines for the next 20 years. The current GMP was completed in 1980. A new plan is needed to address lands added to the park since then and to reflect the current understanding of the park’s resources and regional context.
The Golden Gate National Recreation Area (GGNRA) is one of the largest urban national parks in the world. The total park area is 75,398 acres of land and water. Approximately 28 miles of coastline lie within its boundaries. It is nearly two and one-half times the size of San Francisco.
One of the nation’s most highly visited National Park Service units, Golden Gate NRA comprises numerous sites, including Alcatraz, Marin Headlands, Nike Missile Site, Fort Mason, as well as Muir Woods National Monument, Fort Point National Historic Site, and the Presidio of San Francisco. Each has its own unique natural, cultural, and military history.